Saturday, February 17, 2007

Here's a list of the 64-bit applications I'd run if Dell didn't charge extra for 64-bit OSs


  • Apache 2.2 (currently use 32-bit version, the official 64-bit version for Windows does not exist yet, but there is this version: http://www.blackdot.be/?inc=apache/binaries, let me know if it works in Vista. Apache hosts test versions of 300+ websites I develop and maintain as well as phpMyAdmin, my MySQL IDE)
  • MySQL 5.1 (currently use 32-bit version, the 64-bit version for Windows does not exist yet, but I'm betting it will some day. MySQL hosts test versions of the tables for 300+ websites I develop and maintain)
  • PHP 5 (currently use 32-bit version, the official 64-bit version for Windows does not exist yet, but there is this version: http://www.fusionxlan.com/PHPx64.php, let me know if it works in Vista. PHP is the primary language for the 300+ websites I develop and maintain)
  • Java 6 (currently use 32-bit version, upgrading to 64-bit would make my IDEs [Netbeans and Eclipse] 64-bit [After making tiny edits to a config file for each. If upgrading from 32-bit Vista to 64-bit is supported. If not, and I have to do a fresh install of the OS and all of the applications, then no config file changes would be necessary since the initial install would be with a 64-bit version of Java thus their would be no need to tell Eclipse and Netbeans to use a different JDK]. Netbeans and Eclipse [along with VMware Workstation 6] are the main reasons I use more than 4GB of memory on a regular basis).
  • VMware Workstation 6 (beta) (currently use 32-bit version, this hosts Windows XP and Kubuntu allowing me to test web pages in Internet Explorer 6 and 7, Firefox, Konqueror, Mozilla, Opera, and Epiphany, all on the same machine without rebooting.)
  • Firefox 2 (currently use 32-bit version, Firefox [at least how I use it] usually uses at least 500-800 MB once I get all of the tabs and windows I use open.)
  • TortoiseSVN 1.4.3 (currently use 32-bit version)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You do of course realize that the only benefit of a 64 bit OS is the ability to address more than 4gb of ram. You also of course realize that due to restrictions microsoft makes in the 64 bit version of windows (drivers must be signed, the kernel cannot be modified, etc) that getting many applications to run is near impossible. Also, third party hardware rarely have any drivers for the 64-bit versions of MS Windows and you can't just use the 32-bit versions. Your rants about not getting 64 bit are just rumblings of an idiot who didn't put in the research to find out that he couldn't get 64-bit on an E521 and that he couldn't use it for much if he did.