Saturday, February 17, 2007

Integrated Video/Chipset Crap

My Dell E310 lets me use the integrated video plus a PCI Radeon 7000 giving me three monitors. My Dell Optiplex at work lets me use the integrated video plus a PCI Radeon 7000 giving me three monitors.
My Dell Dimension at work lets me use the integrated video plus a PCI Radeon 7000 giving me three monitors.
My brand new Dell E521 says in the manual that if you use a PCI Express x16 video card the integrated video is automatically disabled and can not be enabled. So I installed a PCI Radeon 7000 and it would not boot, and on the monitor that was plugged into the integrated video it said I would have to unplug the monitor plugged into the integrated video or remove the added video adapter card, otherwise it will not boot. So now you can not get a three headed system from Dell by purchasing a $49-$79 PCI card anymore, now you have to purchase a more expensive 3 headed card that usually run more expensive than $129-$200. So for the last 5 years, probably longer, Dell has made systems with integrated video that you could keep using even after adding additional video cards, but now, they make systems where the integrated video can not be used if you upgrade your system. Can someone explain to me how this benefits Dell? Can someone explain to me how this benefits Dell's customers?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ur an idiot this is goverend by the chipset not set by dell, plus they way you are running a three headed system is way riged and will provide subpar performance try doing things the right way and not whine so much when ur ghetto rgging doesnt work. Or buy a nicer dell

Robert L. Murphy said...

I didn't say that Dell determined the chipsets capability, Dell decides which chipsets to put in their systems. Since I use the system for web development and testing, using the integrated video plus an add on card does not in any way degrade the 2-D performance that I actually use, and when playing a 3-D game I can always switch off the displays I'm not using to increase performance which is what I have always done in the past. This system is designed to be economical, and having a chipset that does not allow the integrated video to continue working after adding another display adapter is not what I would consider economical. My cheap ass Dell E310 lets me continue using the integrated video and there are good, cheap, AMD 64 compatible chipsets that allow this too.

Unknown said...

I had this problem two years ago with a dell desktop. It's hit and miss. I had this setup working on Vista and out of the blue it stopped working.